Friday, April 17, 2009

Luscious Raw Lasagna

Lasagna is one of my all-time favourites!

As a growing girl, my mum would ask me each year what I would like for dinner for my birthday. Well, I can't recall a birthday where I DIDN'T ask for lasagna. It's one of those meals I have always really really loved, quite frankly.

As with all heavily cooked foods, however, there IS a price to pay - bloating, draining of your energy, stomach cramps, bad gas, weight gain and heaviness. As we know, cooking food destroys 100% of the enzymes which aid in digestion. Your body must therefore produce the enzymes required.

Dr. Edward Howel, a physician, biochemist, and author of "Enzyme Nutrition" & "Food Enzymes for health and Longevity" says, "When we eat cooked, live enzyme deficient food, the body is forced to produce enzymes needed for digestion. This stealing of enzymes from other parts of the body sets up a competition for enzymes among various organ systems and tissues of the body. The resulting metabolic dislocations may be the direct cause of many chronic incurable diseases such a obesity, heart disease, cancer, and other degenerative problems.

You can imagine my excitement when I discovered there was a raw version and I didn't have to give up my beloved favourite.

I finally got around to trying out a recipe I've been googling for a few weeks. I was captured by the picture on The Raw Chef and knew I had to give it a go. I initially kept putting it off because I thought it sounded too complicated. After making it, I realised it's actually quite easy and well worth the effort. There are several small dishes to prepare and then you assemble them together, just like a real lasagna, just slightly different.

Just click on the link Sunny Raw Kitchen for the recipe. All I can say is: DELICIOUS!

I would have tried it earlier if someone had walked me through the stages, so I'll show you how each small dish looks before assembling, to entice you.

Firstly, the Zucchini Pasta is sliced as thinly as possible and left for a short time to marinate. If left too long, the pasta will begin to brown. While marinating, the other dishes are prepared. I loved the Cheesy Nut Cream! So smooth and the nutritional yeast gives it a real cheese flavour. I make cooked lasagna with spinach so loved that this recipe included a spinach layer. I added three times as much basil as this recipe, though. The Tomato Sauce is also great. I needed to add a little water to the recipe to ensure it would blend well. The Almond Ricotta is processed till ricotta-like. Mine wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. I could have processed it longer to get a smoother consistency.

When you're ready to assemble the lasagna line up the small dishes and layer on separate plates or in a lasagna dish. It looks stunning!
Before eating, place in the dehydrator (be sure to remove the racks) for 2 hours on 105F.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment