Monday, April 6, 2009

Raw Plum and Red Grape Cereal

Plum Recipies
Last weekend I spotted a large box of ripe plums at my local fruit and veggie store for $2.
Even though I had never before considered making raw cereal out of plums, I thought for that price, I'd give it a go. I had soaked almonds already stored in the fridge - perfect!

I filled the blender with the pitted plums and blended them with 1/2 cup agave syrup and a few medjool dates for sweetness, then added about a cup of soaked almonds. A deliciously deep magenta colour emerged! I felt like I was mixing colours for a painting.
Once poured onto the teflex sheets and placed into the dehydrator, they were left for 10 hours to dehydrate at 105 degrees F.

To fill the fifth and last tray I made a red grape and almond mixture (my favourite!). The blended mixture was a lovely baby pink tone (can you tell I'm an artist?). After the dehydration process the sheet was a very pretty speckled pink.

The plum sheets dried quite dark (as expected I suppose - but honestly... I'd hoped they would stay the rich magenta!). It was then simply a matter of peeling the dried sheets away and tearing into small pieces.

The plum cereal is great on top of fresh fruit and cashew cream for breakfast.








The red grape cereal is soooooo good you'll be rolling your eyes with delight! I love it with cashew cream or almond milk and fruit.

A great way to start the day!

"Health Benefits of Plum:
A very important health benefit of eating Plum is that, it acts as a laxative and improves performance of the digestive system. Further, the presence of phenols and Vitamin C ensures good antioxidant protection. Prevents your eyesight from any deterioration and enhances immunity against cancer related diseases. Iron absorption in the body is increased by eating Plums and heart related risks are minimised." (Organic Facts)

No comments:

Post a Comment